This Fennel and Orange salad is so refreshing. It's so simple to make at home - there's hardly anything to it!
I love the crunch of fennel, but it's the flavour that I love the most - a subtle aniseed and sweetness unlike anything else. The combination of orange and fennel is timeless - a perfect combination of sweet, tartness and anise. Those Italians are a clever bunch.
I love to serve it with fish - it also marries real well with pork. I'll bbq a juicy chop and pair it with some boiled mini potatoes and this salad and it's pretty much as close to perfection as it gets.
I'll often change up the herbs I use in this this version used dill and mint as I believe I served it with pork but I'll sometimes use combinations of parsley, marjoram, oregano or thyme.
Next time the sun's out - prepare this and chill in the fridge 'til you're ready - it's so refreshing. As salads go, this is sweet!
How to make my Fennel & Orange Salad
- 4 oranges (segmented)
- 1 fennel bulb (trimmed, cored and finely sliced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 lemon (juice of)
- 1 tbsp fresh dill (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh mint (chopped)
- Salt & pepper
- Combine the sliced fennel, oranges, onion, dill and mint in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the retained orange juice with the lemon juice, olive oil and vinegar then pour over the salad.
- Toss gently to combine and you're done.
- Serve alongside a delicious steak, some BBQ pork or chicken or a grilled fish. But this salad pairs well with everything.
I’m the one in charge here at Cook Eat Blog. You may have noticed that I like food. I live for food, to find it, cook it, eat it, photograph it and talk about it. I hope you like my food too – leave me a message if you do!
Cook.Eat.Blog. is my happy place to share all that I cook and eat with the you all – you’re welcome!