These Spanish Chicken Skewers with Fino Sherry are packed with amazing flavour. It's quite incredible how much gets into the meat and how tender it becomes after marinating. It deserves a very special "Olé!" I'll serve this as a main course for the most part, but I've also served tapas style alongside some of my other favourites like Tortilla Espanola, Asparagus with Smoked Alioli and my ultimate choice - Jamon Croquetas
Marination of a Nation
Marination is key to the success of this dish - the longer the better! I feel the disappointment as you read the recipe "marinate for 4 hours..." and sensed your heart sinking! I know! I've been there before. You want a recipe that you can cook NOW! That's all well and good but I'm going to pose a question... Do you want it now or do you want it delicious? That's the harsh reality. Now get over it.
With any marinade - I'll do it first thing in the morning, so that when it comes to eating that night, it's all done. A little work now will pay off later. If I'm serving it for lunch, I'll do it the night before. I'll FORCE MYSELF to do it, even though I am a very lazy person. Just know in the back of your mind, that good things are happening in the fridge.
Back to the flavour! The chicken takes on all the smokiness from the Spanish smoked paprika and a beautiful complex sweetness from the Fino Sherry. I'd urge you to get hold of some, as again - it really makes the chicken sing! The onion gives more sweetness but, along with the lemon juice helps tenderise the meat and keep it mouthwateringly juicy when you grill.
Talking of juicy, I prefer to use chicken thighs for my recipe as they're so much juicier, but this also works with chicken breast if you prefer that.
I'll often make these as part of a tapas spread so do a half portion and serve the chicken pieces separately pierced with a toothpick alongside regular garlic mayonnaise, alioli or an elevated version of my delicious smoked alioli
How to make my Spanish Chicken Skewers with Fino Sherry
- 700g g Chicken thighs or breast (cut into large chunks)
- 3 shallots (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- 5 sprigs fresh parsley (stalks and all)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Spanish dry Fino sherry
- 1 Lemon (juice of)
- 2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put together the shallots, garlic, paprika, parsley, olive oil, sherry, lemon, salt & pepper into a food processor and blend into a smooth paste.
- Place chicken into a plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Leave for 4 hours or overnight (for best results)
- After marinating, thread 4-5 pieces of chicken on skewers (if you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water the same time as you marinate your chicken. This will help when cooking, to stop them being completely destroyed by the BBQ immediately).
- Heat a BBQ til hot then grill the chicken for about 10 minutes, moving frequently till lightly charred on all sides.
- Rest the chicken for 2-3 minutes before serving. Serve as a main course, or break up into single pieces and skewer with a toothpick and serve as tapas.
I’m the one in charge here at Cook Eat Blog. You may have noticed that I like food. I live for food, to find it, cook it, eat it, photograph it and talk about it. I hope you like my food too – leave me a message if you do!
Cook.Eat.Blog. is my happy place to share all that I cook and eat with the you all – you’re welcome!